SF water, conductivity meter, Tap Water Purifier

From: David J. Collier, MD (dcollier@mail.med.upenn.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 01 2000 - 18:58:38 PST

Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2000 18:58:38 -0800
From: "David J. Collier, MD" <dcollier@mail.med.upenn.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: SF water, conductivity meter, Tap Water Purifier

I have been trying out my new Tap Water Purifier from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals
in conjunction with my new conductivity meter from Cole Parmer. Here's
what I have
discovered:

San Francisco tap water from my kitchen sink gives a TDS reading of 80-90
ppm, so
perhaps it is suitable after all for use on CPs without any further treatment.

After passing through the Tap Water Purifier, the SF tap water gives a TDS
reading of
zero. Pretty good, I would say.

I've only run a few gallons through the TWP so far, so I can't comment yet
on the life
of the deionizing column. Given the low TDS reading of the tap water,
however, I am
optimistic that I should get more than the advertised 50 gallons.

David Collier
dcollier@mail.med.upenn.edu