Re: Need U. pubescens help!

From: Dave Evans (dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 16:57:47 PST

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 19:57:47 -0500
From: "Dave Evans" <dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Need U. pubescens help!

I think the trick to these plants is they need a natural lighting cycle for
the year.
I have seen a couple very happy clones of U.longifolia in a greenhouse, but
mine under lights from cuttings of these clones are never as happy. But I'm
trying out 10-11 hours of light on the some plants, like these Utrics and
some of those finicky winter growing Drosera and they are doing better...

Dave Evans

P.S. I don't think U.longifolia grows very fast anyway.

> I have had a U. pubescens for a year now. It stated out doing very well,
producing 2 inche stolons at the surface.
> It has been steadily growing smaller since then. I don't understand it's
dormancy, so I have kept it in a tropical enviroment since I've had it. I
have it in a clear plastic cup in my terrarium. I think there is plenty of
light, because my other plants are doing well enough to bloom. I do not let
it sit in water. I do not let it dry out. It is potted in mostly long fiber
sphagnum, with some orchid medium. It has produced some root system, but not
much. I understand it is a epiphytic utric. , that is why I put it in such a
coarse medium.