Heat Tolerant Sarracenia

From: Steven Stewart (steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2000 - 14:48:55 PST

Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 17:48:55 -0500
From: Steven Stewart <steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Heat Tolerant Sarracenia

> Hey Peter,
>
> Meanwhile, in the other direction, I've been keeping my eyes open for
> plants that survive well in the HEAT! Too many Sarracenia get all ratty
> and crispy, when grown by desert dwellers. In the next issue of CPN we
> will have a new Sarracenia cultivar that is a good plant for blast furnace
> cultivators!
>
> Barry

I second the motion when it comes to heat tolerance! I have a few
Sarracenia species I've grown with true year around success in the
Florida heat. Sarracenia rubra and S.minor will grow well. My
S.leucophylla and S.flava grow beautifully, but I rarely get any
flowers. The most tolerant all-round Sarracenia I have is the hybrid S.
x formosa (S.minor x S.psittacina). I don't know about it's cold
tolerance levels, but it will grow as an emergent aquatic for months at
a time and isn't picky about the kind water as much as most Sarr..
Now I want heat tolerant Darlingtonia, Nepenthes villosa, N. rajah,...
If you all could work on that I would like it very much!!
Take care,
Steven Stewart
I.B.W. Enterprises Inc.
Sanford, Fl