Hot Houses

From: Paul Edwards (edwards@net2000.com.au)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 15:41:08 PST

Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 10:41:08 +1100
From: "Paul Edwards" <edwards@net2000.com.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Hot Houses

After much negotiation with my wife (sometimes they really don't understand
the important things in life - sigh), I've got the approval for a new bigger
hot house. Which possibly opens a new area of discussion. Just how do we get
our spouses to understand us! No, sorry, wrong subject. That's impossible to
answer! What I meant to say was, what's "the best" kind of hot house. (If
there is such a thing as "the best") I currently have a plastic house over a
metal frame (manufactured and sold in Australia as an "Adlo" hot house).
This seems quite good, but does get rather cold in winter, and very hot in
the summer. Today's forecast is for low 30s C, and even with my fogging
set-up, and vents/hatches etc open, will get to around 40C in the hothouse.
The heat isn't a major worry, as most CPs seem to cope with it OK, but is
there a better house? Are igloos better, or glass houses, or what other
options are there? I grow most varieties of CPs, but mainly Nepenthes. Any
advice would be appreciated.

  Paul Edwards,
  Bampton Park,
  Neerim South, Victoria.