Re: More comments on U. longifolia

From: Marianne Perdomo Machin (marianne@castillo.net)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 13:51:40 PST

Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 21:51:40 +0000
From: Marianne Perdomo Machin <marianne@castillo.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: More comments on U. longifolia

> More comments on U. longifolia:
>
> Who said the tropics must be hot and humid.

Not I! I know about cool tropics from my mother growing orchids.

> I would love to learn more specifics about U. longifolia's ecological
> niche. If it doesn't grow on trees (epiphyte), how does it grow?

Me, too. I searched the web some but didn't get much information. A brazilian webpage (in Portuguese, so it will take me a while to get though it) says it's endemic to Brazil and terrestrial. There are some notes on
Utricularia culture, like giving to (mostly epiphyte) tuberous utrics dormancy, which would not apply here. And that many brazilian especies are annuals (U. longifolia, too?).
According to it, most especies appreciate plenty of water, and reccomends complete immersion in case of aphid infestation. It also says that U. longifolia leaves reach over 40 cm. (Mine is still tiny but sprouting new
leaves, perhaps if I'm more generous with the water)

The page in question is at:
http://members.tripod.com/hexenmeister/Generos.htm
Click on Utricularia, last of the red bars in the menu.

The whole site looks good to me, but then I am only just starting with CPs.

> For just
> big leaves it sure has tiny traps.

The page mentions that terrestrial utricularia usually dines on
miscroscopic life in the soil so no feeding is necessary.

Hope this helps,

Now if only anybody could confirm the validity of this information (I
may have mistranslated or the author mistyped or something)...

Marianne