Light meter

From: Zachary Kaufman (zkaufman@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 19:01:18 PST

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 19:01:18 PST
From: "Zachary Kaufman" <zkaufman@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Light meter

I recently came across an ad for a light meter. It supposedly can handle
readings from 0-50,000 LUX and has a relative sensitivity of 10 - 100
(degree symbol above the last 0 in 100).

Unfortunately these ranges have little meaning to me. I was hoping someone
could answer the following questions:

1) What is the conversion between foot-candles and LUX? Is there a
meaningful definition as to what 1 LUX is?

2) Is 50,000 LUX a value greater than one would experience outside in
full sun? I would like a meter that won't go out of range outside.

3) What does a relative sensitivy of 10 - 100 degrees mean for a light
meter? Is this any good?

The light meter, from the picture, appears to have a digital LCD display and
a separate ~3cm diameter white sensor element. Its seems to be very well
priced, but I need to know a bit more before I decide to purchase it.

Thanks to anyone that can help with my questions.
--Zachary--
e-mail: zkaufman@hotmail.com