Re: BRAZILIAN CP WEBPAGE PLAGIARIZED!!!!!!!!!!!

From: Carl Gustafson (carl.gustafson@cbis.ece.drexel.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 05:30:12 PST

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 08:30:12 -0500
From: Carl Gustafson <carl.gustafson@cbis.ece.drexel.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: BRAZILIAN CP WEBPAGE PLAGIARIZED!!!!!!!!!!!

At 8:49 PM -0800 1/13/00, cp@opus.hpl.hp.com wrote:
[snip]

> Our main question now is WHAT DO WE DO??? And WHAT CAN WE DO???
>Is it possible to somehow get this guy's plagiarized webpage OFF the web by
>contacting the people who run Tripod (where his page is based)?
>Unfortunately, the smart ass doesn't give his e-mail address on that web
>page so the only way we can contact him may be through Tripod. Maybe some of
>you out there have more experience with this kind of stuff and can give us
>some hints.....

[more snip]

I'd start by notifying Tripod. When you prepared your page, did you
include any author information in the html? If so, download the
pirate page and look for any tell-tale marks. That might help with
Tripod.

If Tripod is unhelpful, the next question is how much time, effort,
and money are you willing to spend to go after the miscreant? You
need to consider that soon, as this kind of stuff often turns into an
expensive battle.

Another thing to do is to look into filing for US copyrights.
Although in the US you have a copyright from when your creation is
put into tangible form, filing with the copyright office allows you
to sue for statutory damages, rather than trying to prove actual
damages. And the statutory damages are substantial. While you're in
Brasil, Tripod is probably in the US, and so you'd need to go after
them and their customer in the US.

Good luck
Carl.