re petiolaris online

From: Sundew Sundew (sundew@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 07:45:31 PST

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 10:45:31 -0500
From: "Sundew Sundew" <sundew@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re  petiolaris online

Hi Ivan and Sean!

> Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 08:42:21 -0800
> From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
> To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
> Cc: seansamia@yahoo.com
> Subject: re: D. petiolaris' online
>
> Attention petiolaris enthusiasts,
>
> Matt wrote:
> >Just posted a no-frills web page featuring a photo of part of my
> >D.petiolaris complex collection (all plants in photo less than 1
> >year old). Please check it out! HEere's the URL:
> >http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Sauna/9219/petiolaris1.html
>
> Glad to see someone else successfully growing sundews of the
> petiolaris complex.

Thanks!

I'm sure that Matt's seed was produced by the
> all-time master grower of the plants Sean Samia, my friend here in
> Southern California.

Actually, the plants on my "petiolaris page" were all from seed given to me
by my buddy Phill of Southwest Carnivores of Australia, as well as seed
originally obtained from Lowrie and swapped to me by another CPer friend.
My larger derbyensis, ordensis and hybrid between the 2, which I got from a
friend who got them from the ICPS seed bank, were originally sent in by
Sean. :) But these were in the "other Drosera terrarium" pic.
Incidentally, the seed you sent me from Sean is growing pretty slowly but
I'm sure is partly due to the lower temperatures theyve been getting. Ive
been meaning to move them to my hotter setup but this would involve a trip
outside and I dont think the plants would appreciate the COOOOLLLDDDDD temps
outside so have been waiting for a more mild day. Always looking for more
seed of this stuff, hybrids or especially species...

 Sean is not on the CP Listserv but does receive
> e-mail on his cell phone now at < seansamia@yahoo.com >. Though I do not
> myself grow them I do admire his magnificent looking plants. From him I
> learned some facts which would interest those who have grown and studied
> them. Like for instance: yes they do require cross-pollination to produce
> seed. Hybrids between all the species are fertile and Sean has made some
> which are truly awsome. Sean believes, and I agree, that some of the many
> highly variable species are actually hybrids, which he has recreated.

Definitely agree with you 2 as well here. I wonder how many more varieties
Lowrie will come across in his travels. Any suggestions as to what the
original species are?

Matt