Silicone ?

From: Sundew Sundew (sundew@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 15:22:09 PST

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 18:22:09 -0500
From: "Sundew Sundew" <sundew@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Silicone ?

Hey CP people,

I just bought 4 x 6" high terraria for some of my plants but was
told they are not waterproof as only the bottom has been sealed with
silicone.

The people I bought these tanks from told me not to use marine or
over-paint silicone. Went to the hardware store (Home Depot) and
found Silicone II which specifically mentions it is NOT to be used
with aquaria. Does anyone know why? Can it not handle the water
pressure or is it toxic to fish?

The only thing I found which did not have this warning (and
therefore purchased) was GE's 100% Silicone Rubber Sealant (Clear,
indoor/outdoor, watertight...). Since all the others were by GE as
well, I am assuming this one is safe for aquarium / terrarium use?

I'd actually prefer the silicone 2 if possible as it was available
in a smaller tube which will surely be more managable. All advice
appreciated! Thanks!

Matt

[HTML file part2 deleted by listprocessor]