Nepenthes x Curtisii

From: Nicholas Plummer (nplummer@duke.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 05:35:11 PST

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 08:35:11 -0500
From: Nicholas Plummer <nplummer@duke.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes x Curtisii

Andrew Marshall wrote:
>Yeah, that is N. x Curtisii alright. N. maxima x N. albomarginata. I
>have some interesting stories for off-line telling one day concerning
that
>plant.
> Meanwhile, check inder the peristome of newly opened uppers to see
>faint buff coloured ring... the vestiges of N. albomarginata still
visible.

I had wondered about that ring. It gets hidden when the peristome folds
down, so I wasn't sure if it was evidence of the parentage or just my
imagination. Thanks for the confirmation.

Next question: Is N. x Curtisii a valid hybrid name under the ICPS
rules of nomenclature, or is it forbidden since it is also a synonym of
N. maxima?

cheers,
          Nick
Nicholas Plummer