Re: Paul Temple's Database

From: CPimages (cpimages@InfoAve.Net)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 20:11:12 PST

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 22:11:12 -0600
From: CPimages <cpimages@InfoAve.Net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Paul Temple's Database

Just read about your new CP database program, Paul, and think this might
be a great gift for Carl for his birthday next October. He's been
wanting do a serious inventory of his plants, and now that he's computer
literate....
However, you say "The price will be in the \24330-40 range (excluding
postage and packing) which licenses a single user." How much is
\24330-40 in American dollars? And what currency is \24330-40 anyway?
As for Carl Strohmenger's suggestion of using FileMaker Pro, I use that
in my business as a database to keep track of the various industry
suppliers and products they offer as well as contact info and additional
notes. It's a powerful program and the basic setting up of a simple form
to plug in your data is not too difficult to learn, but it isn't real
easy or cheap either. That book that comes with it is a thick one.
Hadn't thought of using it to set up a CP inventory database for Carl,
but it's a great idea.
However, frankly, if Paul's program is within the budget of the typical
hobbyist CPer, I personally would a lot rather use an existing program
that's been beta tested and tweaked and does all the things he describes
than to try to spend time and frustration trying to set up one myself.
Just my thoughts.
Sherry Taylor (Carl's wife)