Ping Observation/Question

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 09:13:23 PST

Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:13:23 -0800
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Ping Observation/Question

Hi CPers,

     While seeing Pinguicula macroceras var. nortensis in its natural
sites up in Northern California I observed something which at first had
me very curios. I believe I have an explanation for what I noticed which
might interest some of you. Upon visiting several natural sites for this
butterwort I had a close look at them and was able to see just what kind
of prey items they were trapping. I was struck by the incredibly large
sized insects that were commonly caught. It seemed impossible that this
plant could capture such sized insects which would seem to have no
trouble in struggling free. Many plants had housefly sized flying insects
and a few even had great big dragon flies! How could this be?

This got me quite interested in the plant. I collected seed and was able
to grow this plant very well and have grown a few generations from seed
to seed once again. I raise Fruitflies ( Drosophila melanogaster ) as
live food for all my different CPs. Funny thing though, when I sprinkle
the live insects on my butterworts here at home they nearly always get
free from the plants and have no trouble doing so. So then, how can we
explain the large size of the insects which are captured in nature?

I think I have the answer but will give you some time to think on this
one to see if maybe some of you might also come up with the same
conclusion. I will post my answer tomorrow.

Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!