Re: Nepenthes truncata

From: Trent Meeks (flaneps@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 12:24:24 PST

Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 12:24:24 PST
From: "Trent Meeks" <flaneps@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes truncata

Hi Steve,

N. truncata is one of my best growers here in south Florida. I agree with
Andrew. Generally, they do not like to be manhandled. I grow mine in a more
porous mix than the other Nepenthes(I add medium grade pumice to the mix),
and find they like a little more drying out between waterings (Again,
compared to other Nepenthes). I'm sure they will tolerate lower humidity for
part of the day, but that's not how you get the big pitchers. High humidity
will result in big pitchers, and truncata is among the most spectacular!
Also, truncata tolerates a wide range of temperatures.
Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Fl
>I'd love to hear opinions on how to grow it. Andrew warns me that this
>plant
REALLY
objects to being pruned, and doesn't much care for being repotted. >Well,
have several Orchids that are set back by
repotting, so I know how to build a mix that doesn't loose it's >porousity,
and
>just needs occational added organics.
>Anything else?

>I live in the Desert Southwest. Many of my Nepenthes tolerate the low
>humidity
in my greenhouse
just fine, once they've adapted to it. (their leaves thicken considerably,
as do
the pitcher walls) Will this plant
tolerate summer realitive humidity near 30% in the daytime? Anybody ever
try?