gulf coastal Pinguicula- planifolia/primuliflora

From: Michael Hunt (MPHCJ5@email.msn.com)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 07:40:47 PST

Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 10:40:47 -0500
From: "Michael Hunt" <MPHCJ5@email.msn.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: gulf coastal Pinguicula- planifolia/primuliflora

Hello Amy,

I can only answer for the southeastern USA Pinguicula. P. primuliflora and
P. planifolia can be grown together, but P. planifolia requires much higher
amounts of light to achieve its best coloration. My best results are using
shallow bulb pans and I place these into deeper trays always keeping wet.
Often flooding to having water cover the whole plant. A mixture of milled
sphagnum and sand with a topping of live sphagnum is my mix. P. ionantha
and P. planifolia are frequently found growing together in habitat and where
this occurs they are in sloppy wet to shallow flooded areas. I have never
found P. planifolia in a drier natural habitat, and where they do grow in
very wet conditions they are very vigorous. A interesting observation on
both P. ionantha & P. planifolia when they are grown at times in shallow
water their leaves will move to point straight up to stick above the water.
In the bog garden P. planifolia is planted in the lowest part of the bog
with D. tracyi, S. psittacenia, S. purpurea venosa and I notice the same
leaf movement after a heavy rain and they are submerged for a period of
time. For P. primulifora I like to use deep containers, no drainage, and
long fiber sphagnum growing them water logged year round. They will rot
easy, but in strong light they do well. They can be acclimated to more
light then I once thought possible. These plants appear less prone to
rotting off, yet the growth is more compact.
Take care,
~Mike
St. Petersburg Fl