Re: keeping various pings together

From: Paul Temple (paultemple@ecologycal.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 11:33:27 PST

Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 19:33:27 +0000
From: Paul Temple <paultemple@ecologycal.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: keeping various pings together

>As of now I have: P. lutea, P. moranensis, P. prumiliflora, P.
>planifolia, P. caudata, P. caudata v. elheseria (did I
>spell that right!?), P. agnata blue flower, P. agnata
>violet flower, and a unknown hybrid.

Amy, you can safely keep some of those species together in a single
tray. However, P. moranensis (and "P. caudata" which is also P.
moranensis - but keep it labelled a P. caudata!) is a very large plant
and would easily overgrow almost anything given half a chance, so it
deserves its own pot or tray. Then P. planifolia and P. lutea are
different from each other and from all the rest so ideally need to be
treated differently. The rest can be together but as P. agnata
generally dislikes too much water in winter you will need to keep the
tray drier in winter than might be necessary for other plants.

Generally, the reason why people suffer so many plant losses is that we
all like to keep them in nice simple conditions that save us time and
energy. This often means all the plants are treated the same.
Unfortunately, plants are like people so if you treat any two exactly
the same, at least one of them will be less than fully happy!

As to a two inch deep tray, justabout all the Pinguiculas have very
shallow roots so certainly all that you mentioned and most othrs will be
quite able to root as well as necessary in such a shallow pot. But as
it is so shallow you will need to be careful not to let the soil get too
wet. Contrary to popular opinion many of them grow in areas where the
soil or rock is rarely wet. It's often just damp.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Paul