Re: Nepenthes seedlings

From: Michael Hunt (MPHCJ5@email.msn.com)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 07:46:51 PST

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:46:51 -0500
From: "Michael Hunt" <MPHCJ5@email.msn.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes seedlings

It's a very real possibility the light is too bright for the young
seedlings. On many young or stressed plants (such as cuttings) excessive
light will further push the plant to its limit. In a case with too much
light on a tender young plant it can not absorb large amounts of light and
is unable to carry on with photosynthesis and chlorophyll production ceases.
The plant turns from pale green to white. Growth stops and the plant dies,
or dies back.
I have had this problem with N. gracilis cuttings in particular. The cut
takes rapidly and produces a vigorous shoot then stops and turns white. When
I caught the problem and moved the plants farther from the fluorescent tubes
after recovery some regained growth. But the shoot died.
~Mike
St. Petersburg Fl