Re: Wet/drier

From: TCoultiss@aol.com
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 07:57:24 PST

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 10:57:24 EST
From: TCoultiss@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Wet/drier

John,

I can't comment on Sarras as I'm only starting to grow them outdoors this
year (so I'm monitoring this topic carefully!). P vulgaris, as Andrew says,
do like a trickle of running water if poss but I grow mine in pots of
standard peat:sand:perlite (2:2:1) compost which are constantly watered via
the tray method. I also incorporate small slate slabs (2-3 inches wide) in
the pots and plant the pings as close to these as possible - this I got from
observation of wild P Vulgaris in North Wales - they seem to like a cool root
run. I have been growing them outdoors (in Wiltshire UK) for two years now
and they are thriving well.

Hope all this makes sense :)

Tony Coultiss