re: Purple Flowered Sundew

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 10:10:35 PST

Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 10:10:35 -0800
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Purple Flowered Sundew

Hi Owen and all,

Owen asked:
>I have a Drosera in my collection labelled as "D.
>spec. 'Okinawa'" with no other data on it.
>It is an average looking rosetted plant, and until
>recently I had assumed it was just a D. spathulata
>clone. However, it recently flowered and the blossoms
>are lilac-colored. I am unaware of D. spathulata
>having this color flowers -- can anyone help me
>identify my plant?

Ivan here,
I think you have either D. spatulata or D. tokaiensis. Both of these are
native to Japan and can have a flower with petals which look purple
before opening then lighten up to a pink when fully open. Differentiating
between these two species can be tricky unless you are familiar with
them. The main differences are a more rounded leaf end and larger seed in
D. tokaiensis. This species was previously known as D. spatulata var.
Kansai. The name was changed since it was discovered that the plant has
60 chromosomes compared to 40 of spatulata in Japan. Also it is believed
that D. tokaiensis is an allopolyploid hybrid of rotundifolia and
spatulata. There are also hybrids of spatulata and tokaiensis to
complicate the matter further, but if you started your plant from seed,
you probably have one or the other.

Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California