TC of Nepenthes

From: Steve Woodward (for238@abdn.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 07:30:31 PST

Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 10:30:31 -0500 (EST)
From: Steve Woodward <for238@abdn.ac.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: TC of Nepenthes

My experience with Nepenthes is that you need really fresh
seed to get reliable germination in vitro. Sterilize for
about 10 minutes in a 20% dilution of domestic bleach in
water (I can give more chemical details, if you want to
e-mail me direct), then rinse off the bleach in 3 changes
of sterile distilled water. I then plate out onto 0.8%
distilled water agar for germination. This medium is
obviously very low in nutrients and, if any contamination
is present, it allows you time to remove the affected seed,
leaving the clean seeds in place. Fungi grow very quickly
in the presence of high concentrations of free sugar, which
is not present in water agar.

Put the dishes nuder your lights. It is then a matter of
waiting! I have managed to germinate a few species
over the years, using these methods.

Steve Woodward

----------------------
Dr. Steve Woodward