Re: Sarracenia rosea: quick review

From: Dave Evans (dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 16:14:20 PST

Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 19:14:20 -0500
From: "Dave Evans" <dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia rosea: quick review

Hi Barry,

    It's nice to hear from you on the list.

    I have doubts about _S.rosea_. However, I must say that from seeing
this plants in the wild and cultivating them for several years they are
easily more different from all other sub-groups of S.purpurea. Also,
_S.purpurea venosa_ and _S. purpurea purpurea_ are less different from each
other than are _S.purpurea venosa_ and _S.purpurea venosa var. burkei_ which
I have mentioned in the past. This has had me concerned for the past couple
years.
    Of course, _S.rosea_, doesn't appear to me to be a separate species from
_S. purpurea purpurea_. I feel the original split between _S.purpurea
purpurea_ and _S. purpurea venosa_ was made erroneously and the whole
species needs to be revisited.

Dave Evans