Re: Outdoor bogs

From: John Green (HPJGREEN@ihc.com)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 11:42:16 PST

Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 12:42:16 -0700
From: "John Green" <HPJGREEN@ihc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Outdoor bogs

Susan wrote:
>I'm using three rigid pools with irregular shapes: the middle one
>will be a pond, and the other two are jigsawed on either side of
>the pond to be bogs. I leveled the pond (or pretty darn close to
>level), but I've decided to tilt both the bogs slightly, which should

>allow me to have a drier upper end, and a wetter lower end. I
>guess I'll drill a couple of holes a few inches from the top on the
>lower end, to keep it from becoming total soup if it pours for days.
>How does this sound to those who have tried outdoor bogs?

It sounds to me like you have a pretty good plan. I definitely think
the rigid pond forms are the best way to go. On tilting the bogs, I'd
suggest to not tilt them too much or it might end up too dry on the
upper end. A lot depends on how much rain you get and how hot it is
throughout the summer, or how much you'll be able to water it with
"clean" water. Since my rain water is limited to what I can reasonably
store, I have to depend a lot on the summer thunderstorms to keep the
bog fairly wet, or use the hose and hope for the best. My current
hole-in-the-ground bog has a high spot about 2 to 3 inches higher than
the lowest spot, and it gets a bit dry. I'd love to see pictures of
your bog when you get it finished, so let us know.

As for Chris' fungus problems, I agree that a mulch of pine needles
should be fine. I've used straw the last two years (my neighbor always
has a bale left over after Halloween decorating) and it's terrible. It
gets soggy and blows all over and is full of seeds, and grows a lot of
fungus, but it hasn't harmed my S. oreos. From now on I'll find pine
needles instead, particularly since this year I'll be growing much more
than just oreos in the bog. Another thing I might suggest, is that I
let my bog dry out a bit before I mulch it over. Since it's under the
rain gutter I bought one of those flexible tubes that runs the water a
few feet away. Hope it helps.

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah