wild-collected cultivars

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 09:07:35 PST

Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 09:07:35 -0800 (PST)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: wild-collected cultivars

> Oh I hate to be a killjoy but - to raise the matter of international
> conventions on wild plants, theoretically any body authorised to
> "validate" a new cultivar originating from the wild must be placing
> itself at risk. The conventions require collectors to have permission
> to collect - so unlesss a validating organisation asks whether wild
> sourced cultivars were collected with permission, the organisation could
> be guilty of validating an illegally collected specimen. This then

Hi Paul,

Of course, the ICPS (in its conservation policies) condemns illegal field
collection. I believe this is clear. Field collection can be done,
however, in many cases in entirely legitimate and appropriate ways, as
long as appropriate permissions are obtained, and biologically appropriate
behavior is maintained.

I am not, of course, condoning indiscriminant collecting---anyone who has
spent much time in the field with me has probably seen me use extremely
colorful language when I discover indications of plant theft.

Life is complex, no doubt about it. Black and white distinctions between
good and evil only exist in Star Wars films!

Barry

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter
Conservation Coeditor