Nepenthes - Males vs Females

From: David P Banks (dpbanks@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 03:02:25 PST

Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 22:02:25 +1100
From: "David P Banks" <dpbanks@ozemail.com.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes - Males vs Females

Nepenthes % of males to females
I am primarily an orchid grower, even though I have a collection of about
500 Nepenthes plants. I grow mostly highland species and hybrids, which grow
in my shadehouse year-round in western Sydney, NSW, Australia. I have grown
orchids for almost 30 years and have grown Nepenthes for close to 20. Steve
Clemesha was the first one to really get involved with the tropical pitcher
plants.

I have been lurking on this Digest for quite a time now. I would like to
know if there have been any studies regarding the sexing of Nepenthes
seedlings. What percentage (or ratio) of males to females bloom out of a
batch of seedlings.
Does this also vary between species? If my memory is correct, Charles
Clarke, in his superb tome "Nepenthes of Borneo", mentions that about 30% of
seedlings flower to be female. Does this sound right.

I would be interested on information on this, either privately or through
the Digest.

David P. Banks
Hills District Orchids
Editor "Australian Orchid Review" & "The Orchadian".
Author "Tropical Orchids of Southeast Asia"