Slugs, beneficial insects, and etc

From: Hideka Kobayashi (hkobayashi4@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 01:24:01 PST

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 03:24:01 CST
From: "Hideka Kobayashi" <hkobayashi4@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Slugs, beneficial insects, and etc

I read (most of things I know is from books anyway) somewhere that banana
peel works as well. I have never tried it, though. It is commonly believed
among Japanese orchid growers that slugs hate copper. Quite often you see
less slugs with application of copper based fungicides, but I don't think
this stuff is good on CPs in general.

There are many beneficial insects you can use, but the efficacy is rather
quesionable. They tend to escape from the greenhouses, and they die if there
is not enough to feed on. Application of pesticide perish them just like
other insects. I don't know how IPM is accepted in CP culture, but it is
something should be considered.

Hideka