Nepenthes in Las Vegas?

From: Steve Hinkson (sphinkson@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 02:15:38 PST

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 02:15:38 -0800
From: Steve Hinkson <sphinkson@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes in Las Vegas?

 Last year I had to move to Las Vegas

(snip)

put a plastic bag over the top and
I keep the terrarium at very high humidity.

(snip)

the rafflesiana that was doing OK
 started to get a weird red/brown crust that is
making the older leaves die.

(snip)

Hi Gabe:
I too, live and grow Nepenthes in Las Vegas. I don't know what your "Brown Crust" is, but I'd suspect a fungal infection from your description of the growing environment.
My Rafflesianas live in hanging pots out in the greenhouse, yes, even in summer when the evaporative cooler is running 'till midnight at 30% humidity, and the leaves and pitchers are
fine.
Nepenthes like highish humidity, yes, but my experience with them has been that established plants are rangy and disease prone in terrariums because they also like VERY bright
conditions that would cook them here in an enclosed environment.

I do my cuttings in a heated propagation case, at 100% RH, but my rooted
plants are in half sun, and out in the greenhouse with Euphorbs and
Cacti (and Orchids, ferns, Bromeliads, flowering plants, etc.!)

Try improving the air circulation on your sick plants, Gabe, and raising
the light level slowly.

Steve

-- "You can easily judge the character of a person by how he treats
those who can do nothing for him or to him." Malcolm Forbes Drop by and
see me at :
 http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/6811