Re: Germinating Byblis-species

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 03:27:53 PST

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 11:27:53 +0000
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Germinating Byblis-species

Stefan,

>I purchased seeds of Byblis aquatica, B. filifolia and B. rorida from
>Allen Lowrie. Has anybody had success in germinating those species? I
>have germinated B. gigantea (with GAB3) and B. liniflora (without any
>special treatment) successfully. Any experiences would be very
>appreciated.

You should not need to treat these seeds to get germination. To get the
best a quickest germination expose to the seed to high temperature and
humidity after sowing - i.e. 40C+ at around 100% humidity. I have had
germination within five days using this method.

One of our members here in the UK germinated the seed by placing it
inside here tropical fish aquarium between the top of the tank and the
light fitting.

If you give the seeds lower temperatures and humidity you will get
germination but it will take longer.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk