Critters for bladderworts

From: Richard Jobson (r.jobson@botany.uq.edu.au)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 01:58:48 PST

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 19:58:48 +1000
From: "Richard Jobson" <r.jobson@botany.uq.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Critters for bladderworts

Hi Christer,
I have had success with inoculating terrestrial bladderworts (U.
uliginosa) with a range of critters including copepods, cladocera,
nematodes, mites and others in a study of feeding ecology. To get
a concentrated assemblage for the study, I grew the organisms
together in 2 L beakers of peat (base) and distilled water. The trick
is setting-up a tri-trophic system that includes bacteria, algae and
the critters (your submerged pots will be in this state). My plants
were submerged under 1-2 cm of water in individual trays (tall
takeaway tubs). Some of the critters lived in the water column,
others in the substrate. Clever old U. uliginosa produce leaf and
stolon traps. After pot/trays were inoculated the critters set-up
house and maintained themselves (thinking they were nice and
safe HA HA).
So to cut a long story short, get a small sample of surface
substrate and water (10-20 ml) from a suitable habitat (acid bog or
other Utric habitat) and introduce it to your pot system/tray. In my
current Utric collection I have many visible crustaceans swimming
about. It looks great with U. violacea, who put its large traps, some
with trap door facing upwards, on the surface of the sand. Much
better fun than sticking bugs in pitcher plants.
Best,
Rich.