RE: Aquatic CP's and Water Snails

From: William M. Gorum, Jr. (wgorum@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 07:44:12 PST

Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 09:44:12 -0600
From: "William M. Gorum, Jr." <wgorum@bellsouth.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Aquatic CP's and Water Snails

Hey Listmembers....

Nigel made reference to a Malaysian Sand Snail. Here in Louisiana, USA,
I think this is what we call Malaysian Tube Snails. They are a small
aquatic snail, approx. 1/4 - 1/2 inch long. They are a livebearing
snail that will quickly take over an aquarium, in fact, many aquarium
keepers consider them pests. I've never seen them damage aquatic
plants, but they are effective at controlling algae and detritus in an
aquarium's substrate. I've never seen them "for sale" per se, but their
eggs are often found on aquarium plants and when the eggs hatch, the
snails are introduced into the pet store's tanks. Our local pet stores
are quite happy to allow me to pick the snails out of the tanks and use
them for various purposes (read as "fish food") Maybe your local fish
stores would allow you to do the same?

TTYL!
Will
wgorum@bellsouth.net

P.S. Also, notice change in email address :)