highland high temps

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@olywa.net)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 09:53:10 PST

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:53:10 -0800
From: "Andrew Marshall" <andrewm@olywa.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: highland high temps

Hi Joe,
    Part of the equation has to do with how low the night temps get. Also
what species of 'highland' are you planning on growing. N. sanguinea or N.
maxima are much more hardy then N. rajah or N. edwardsiana. This is the
problem with the generic use of the terms 'highland' and 'lowland'. They
really do not tell you much information.
    I find in the sort term, spikes of high temperatures can be tolerated if
the nights are allowed to go low, say into the low 50's. My former
greenhouse by day was in the high 80's to 90 at times, by night from 50-60.
This was in summer of course. In winter it never went higher then 80'.
    Humidity also plays a large part in how hot you can get. A high
humidity helps considerably in keeping heat stress to a minimum.
    This is all short term stuff though. I would not try to keep real
highlanders (or as I call them 'ultra-highlanders') in overly warm
conditions with out some serious devices to keep the plants cool. They are
just not built for it.