ultra highlanders in the south

From: Charles Bigelow (bandh@usinter.net)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 14:39:44 PST

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 14:39:44 -0800
From: Charles Bigelow <bandh@usinter.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: ultra highlanders in the south

I'd like to hear the same thing.

I grow some highland nepenthes outdoors in Santa Monica, California,
about a mile and a half from the coast, where the winter temps get
down to the mid-40's at night in winter, and up to the mid-80's,
rarely into 90's, on summer days.

Humidity varies greatly, falling to 15% when Santa Ana winds blow
in from the desert, but usually it is much higher, especially in
winter.

The easy growers do just fine, N. ventricosa, N. khasiana,
N. alata 'striped', and hybrids like N. x Emmarene.

They are all pitchering and trapping insects, even in winter.
And some are blooming, so I assume they are content.

But I'd like to hear from folks who grow N. villosa, N. rajah,
N. hamata, N. edwardsiana, and similar highlanders outside
in mild climates.

-- Chuck Bigelow