Re: flytraps

From: Michael Hunt (MPHCJ5@email.msn.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 14:50:53 PST

Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 17:50:53 -0500
From: "Michael Hunt" <MPHCJ5@email.msn.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: flytraps

----- Original Message -----
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <cp@opus.hpl.hp.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2000 5:07 PM

> >> But before someone goes and castigates me for removing
> "wild" flytraps from the local bog, they're technically an "exotic"
> species, and legally should be destroyed if discovered...although
> I doubt that anyone who knows of this colony would ever have the
> heart to carry out the letter of the law.

Prem,

Many people know of these bogs. They are listed in the vascular flora guide
of Florida. Known locations are from 2 different counties, with the possible
extension to a 3rd to the south in the state. There are also sites in
Virginia with Dionaea in large numbers.

> If there were ever a severe threat to flytrap populations in NC, then
> send us samples of wild flytraps and we can make sure that they will
> never go extinct, living happily in the wilds of north Florida (there
> are plenty of other boggy areas that could support flytraps,

There is a very real threat to Dionaea in its native habitat. It's past a
severe threat. Over collection for years, and Smokey Bear says; "no
wildfires" a slow death blow to the remaining sites. Then the development of
the land- farming, subdivisions, and hundreds of land grabbing golf courses.
I have seen many sites go rapidly.

> It's interesting being able to walk outdoors and see all these
> natural (and "exotic") wonders in their natural haunts...

I enjoy seeing the flytraps too, and most likely the reason they will remain
untouched by the state where known is because they are not a exotic
invasive. They don't choke out the native flora. But I doubt that Goverment
sanctioned introduction of species not native to the area would ever happen,
even if all the native habitat was destroyed (or when) in North Carolina.
~Mike
St. Petersburg