Mites

From: Hideka Kobayashi (hkobayashi4@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 05:47:10 PST

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 07:47:10 CST
From: "Hideka Kobayashi" <hkobayashi4@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Mites

Sorry, I forgot your name. It sounds like you might have mites, but I did
not know CPs (in this case, it was a Drosera sp. right?)get mites. If you
are concerned enough to pay, you can consult your local Extension Agency or
University which has a plant disease/insect diagnostic clinic. Usually, you
can find a clinic at major land-grant universities. They like to work on
something different other than corn and soybeans (that's where money is),
but it does not guarantee they can tell you what you have 100%.

The other thing I can think of is, using a biological control. There are
predator mites, which of course eat regular two spotted mites and other
pests such as fungus gnat larva (I am not talking about shore flies). It
might be something you can use, but I don't know if they are going to
survive on CPs. Some might be uncomfortable with the idea of having
thousands of mites crowing under the bench, and etc...

There was a discussion on slug damage some time ago. The Extension
entomologist I know gave a talk on orchid pests lately, and he said there is
a new product based on Iron compound (iron sulfate?). I forgot the name, but
I can look into if anybody wants to know. I don't know if it works under the
humid condition, though.

Hideka