New species discovered in Venezuela

From: Juan Nogal (dionaea20@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 05:49:32 PST

Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 13:49:32 GMT
From: "Juan Nogal" <dionaea20@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: New species discovered in Venezuela

Dear list,

after some months of studying it, we are now very happy to announce to you
the discovering we have done last year during a research expedition in the
region around San Carlos, Venezuela.
In two different location we found a dense population of a new plant which
belongs to the family Droseraceae and appears to be carnivorous.
In fact its trapping mechanism resembles very much the one of Dionaea
muscipula, the famous plant from North America.
The shape of this new species is however quite different and it brings three
traps on each leaf.
The plants are reddish and they live in boggy, open areas.
We are preparing a scientific article which will describe it properly and it
will be published in a few months.
As we suppose you will be interested in our discovery we have decided in the
meantime to show you a botanical drawing of this plant and to give you some
more details.
You will find them at the following address:
http://www.geocities.com/dionaea20/sp_nova.html
Sincerely

Juan Nogal
Native Herbs Research Society