re: Atificially Induced Pollyploidy

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 16:04:33 PST

Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 16:04:33 -0800
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Atificially Induced Pollyploidy

Hi Hideka and all,

Hideka wrote:
>Hi. I am just interested if anyone has worked on this in CP. It has been

>quite frequently done in some other plants such as Orchids and
daylilies,
>but I am not aware for CP. I think some of sterile Drosera hybrids will
be
>fertile after this treatment, like the D. spatulata hybrid mentioned
here a
>couple weeks ago.
>In relation to this, is there anyone who know the source of D. nagamotoi
or
>some other Drosera hybrids?

Ivan here:
In the March 2000 issue of the Carnivorous Plant Newsletter appears an
informative article on this very subject which I authored. I was most
pleased
with how the final draft turned out. Much credit goes to Barry
Meyers-Rice
and Jan Schlauer, thanks guys! The title of the article is Colchicine
Treatment on Sterile Hybrid Sundews. In the article I wrote about
treatment procedure, hybrids I have made, and some of my results. My
first success was in treating the hybrid D. x nagamotoi which is a cross
I made of D. anglica Hawaii with D. spatulata Australia. Several months
ago
I offered seed of this induced pollyploid here on the Listserve. A few
people later reported to me that the plant is growing well for them I was
happy to hear : ) I recently sent all the seed I collected of this to
the ICPS
Seedbank, but will be getting more maybe next month.

For those who have read my article, here is a little research update.
I mentioned that it might be possible to backcross my octoploid D. x
nagamotoi with a tetraploid D. spatulata from Australia making a
fertile hexaploid. I have done that and gone still further. Here is a
chromosome diagram like in the article for this backcross.

S -represents 10 D. spatulata chromosomes
L -10 linearis
R -10 rotundifolia
( remember anglica = rotundifolia X linearis )

S S R L S S S S R
---------- X -------- = ------------
S S R L S S S S L

or:
nagamotoi X spatulata = quasi tokaiensis

You can see in the diagram that the result of the backcross
differs from true D. tokaiensis by only 1/6.

S S R
-------- D. tokaiensis
S S R

The plant known as D. tokaiensis was theorized to be an
allopolyploid of D. spatulata and rotundifolia. I have crossed
my quasi tokaiensis with the natural from Japan and raised
these up. They proved to be fertile, though make little seed.
I now have the second generation. Since this cross is fertile,
taxonomist take note; this is proof that D. tokaiensis is as
was theorized, an allopolyploid.

For those people not wishing to play with potentially
dangerous chemicals such as colchicine, you can still
do some interesting breeding experiments as is learned
from the above. Does anyone care to read more on this?

Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!