Re: mosses

From: Prem Subrahmanyam (prems@noblestar.net)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 03:36:02 PDT

Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 06:36:02 -0400
From: Prem Subrahmanyam <prems@noblestar.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: mosses

Wayne Morrow wrote:

>I have read vague references that native North American mosses may be
>harmful to CPs. They would conceal the edges of outdoor bog containers
>very well. I am growing Sarracenia, Cobra and Drosera outside in zone
>7.
>Thanks,
>Wayne Morrow

Many North American carnivorous species grow in bogs blanketed with
sphagnum moss. The moss is often so thick, you cannot see the soil that
the plants are growing in. Indeed, sometimes, the shallow roots of some
carnies are in nothing but sphagnum moss. So, I wouldn't worry...the
mosses are a natural part of the ecosystem where these plants grow and
should certainly not be detrimental to them in cultivation.

--> Prem
Prem Subrahmanyam <prems@noblestar.net> or <prems@nettally.com>
- Animator, programmer, and orchid and fossil nut extraordinaire...
- DNRC Title: Minister of Lightwave 3d Plugin Design Foolishness
- Home - http://www.PremDesign.com

"We in our foolishness thought we were wise
He played the fool and He opened our eyes
We in our weakness believed we were strong
He became nothing to show we were wrong."
"God's Own Fool" - Michael Card