Schomburgkia

From: Hideka Kobayashi (hkobayashi4@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 06:33:54 PDT

Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 08:33:54 CDT
From: "Hideka Kobayashi" <hkobayashi4@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Schomburgkia

Hi, Rich. I know liverwarts are not orchids. Your mention on liverwarts
triggered my response, but no, I did not get confused. Somebody replied to
my posting, and he knew what I was talking about. The species is related to
Spiranthes, but do not belong to the genus.

I don't believe Schomburgkia tibinicus is carnivorous. I simply 'don't.' I
am going to get info. on this, but I am very doubtful. Species in a related
genus (Myrmecophylla--I am sure I misspelled) have symbiotic relationship
with ants. They are quite often treated as Schomburgkia. They sure have
unique features, it is hard for me to believe it is 'carnivorous.'