Re: Native Mosses

From: RonsNewID@aol.com
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 11:56:32 PDT

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 14:56:32 EDT
From: RonsNewID@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Native Mosses

An inch or so of water is the typical recommendation for the water level
of Sarracenias during the growing season. However I have 2 plastic
'mini bogs' (10-12" deep) and a couple of 8" plastic pots that are
undrained in the summer. Once a week I fill them with water to the soil
level (unless it's especially hot and they need a second watering).
This works in the SF bay area because we get virtually no rain until
October and it's usually sunny and often windy. The soil surface
doesn't stay wet for long.

In the winter I pull the containers' plugs and the winter rains water
the plants and flush the soil. I may have to water if we get a warm
spell and no rain for a couple of weeks. The sand and peat mix stays
wet but is well drained. I believe that that's what they want in the
winter - no water level. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The Sarr that died had the same treatment but I believe that the moss
growing on the crown kept it wet for too long a time. I've had its
replacement for 18 months and it's doing fine - without the moss.

By the way, this isn't sphagnum moss, but a local wild moss that grows
to about 1/4". Ron Sbragia

>>Thanks, Ron..
 I'll keep an eye on this one. The one with the moss is Sarracenia
 leucophylla! This is the 3rd year I've had it..and until I started
 reading this list, I kept it in a pot sitting in another container
 that I tried to keep topped up with water which came about half way
 up the pot the plant is in, not knowing that they wanted to dry out a
 bit in winter. I'm still not exactly clear on just how much they
 want to dry out. Now have both of mine in a shallow tray with maybe
 half an inch of water in it. Both are in clay pots in a mix of peat
 and coarse sand.

 Any enlightenment on how wet they need to be would be appreciated. I
 use collected rain water to water them.<<