Re: Seed banks, Malays

From: mp (pmalouf@iamdigex.net)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 01:19:11 PDT

Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:19:11 -0400
From: "mp" <pmalouf@iamdigex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Seed banks, Malays

Hi David,

I use the term "Malay" to refer to all people who live
in Malaysia, and not just the Muslims. However I am
aware that, in Malaysia, the term "Malay" is used
exclusively when referring to the Muslim population
there. No offense was intended.

When I visited Mt. Kinabalu, it was not for the purpose
of collecting Nepenthes specimens but only for the
purpose of taking pictures. It's illegal to collect specimens
of any kind in the national park, and practically impossible
for a foreigner to bring plants back through US Customs.

> Then, there is this idiotic procedure of clearing customs
> even though both places are technically Malaysian territories.

Of course I was aware of the separation between Sarawak and
KL, I think it's a 2 hour flight. For me, that wouldn't be an
issue. But I didn't know that you'd still have to clear customs
with the plants even though both places are Malaysia.
Malesiana Tropicals sends plants to the USA and takes
care of phytosanitary certificates etc. I suspect that
moving plants from their location to KL shouldn't be as
complicated. E-mail might not be the best way to contact
them. Since you're relatively close, you could phone them.

Most of my Malay friends (Muslims and not) keep a few
orchids as well as Nepenthes, but these people are in the
minority--that is, they tell me that Nepenthes are not
commonly cultivated there.

Best wishes,

Perry Malouf