Re: Wal-Mart pitcher plants (correct version!)

From: Philip Semanchuk (mrbones@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 05:05:13 PDT

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 08:05:13 -0400
From: "Philip Semanchuk" <mrbones@mindspring.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Wal-Mart pitcher plants (correct version!)

Oops, sorry about the previous version of this message. My fat fingers
smashed the "send" key.

>Our local Wal-Mart is selling three species of Sarracenia
>(flava, minor and purpurea) for $2.50 each. The company
>listed on the tag is S & J Greens and a phone
>number of (336) 874-3790 is given. Is anyone familiar
>with this company? Although the tag says greenhouse
>grown, the price and size of plants makes me think they
>are wild collected. The plants are flowering size.

Jon,
336 is in North Carolina, the next area code over from the one I'm in (also
in NC). A local garden center that was growing some CPs just for fun told me
that they dealt with S & J and felt them to be reputable. In addition, they
told me that anyone who is registered with the NC Nurseryman's Association
signs a statement that they will not wild collect plants. FWIW.

Philip
URL du jour: http://www.hungersite.org/