Re: wild-collected plants and policies concerning them

From: Paul Temple (paultemple@ecologycal.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 04:16:06 PDT

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 12:16:06 +0100
From: Paul Temple <paultemple@ecologycal.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: wild-collected plants and policies concerning them

Ref David's comment ...

>I think its high time the issues around the sale of wild collected
plants
>were discussed here on the list. I realize this thread is a little
cold, but
>the questions are still relevant.

I thought I had tried to start this off several times but almost the
only person to reply was my old friend Jan. This is not a swipe at
David, I'm simply pointing out that this discussion has false started
several times without apparent interest. Still, I agree wit david
(obviously!).

So, I will say again, with regard to the removal of plants and/or seeds
from the wild and with regard to the appearance of such material either
commercially or in other forms (such as for scientific research,
taxonomy, registration, publication, etc.), I think that it is not only
the responsibility of this list to discuss the moral and legal issues
that arise, but it is also the responsibility of the various CP
societies to both contribute to the discussion and generate policies as
a result.

I know that my views are condidered by some (sometimes) as
controversial, but I will continue to espouse them (that's why I have
red hair!). So, despite (or maybe "in spite of") CITES, Biodiversity
Regulations and plant Import Controls, I believe in certain things such
as:

- it is essential that small amounts of fresh material originating from
the wild be brought into cultivation for species not already securely in
cultivation

- distribution of wild sourced material of plants successfully in
cultivation should be positively (i.e. actively) discouraged except
where this introduces samples from populations that may be expected to
exhibit variation from those already in cultivation

- availability of legitimate material should be positively (actively)
encouraged

- an organisation should not hide behind the literal definition of its
responsibilities such that it ignores the morality of the results of its
action or inaction

- organisations should declare their position on relevant laws,
guidelines, etc. and should incorporate conservation policies into their
bylaws

That's only a starter. I've declared my hand. I ask only one thing in
return. There is no point my caring if people discuss this, I can't
determine who cares nor require contribution. But I do care that people
accept my right to a point of view (just as I respect your right to
disagree) and that those that discuss do so without anger. For example,
I know that Jan and I disagree quite radically on one or two points from
time to time and we do discuss such matters - but I can't recall that we
have ever been angry with each other or denied each other's right to a
different opinion. And that means we can feel safe about declaring our
views to each other. So I hope others will discuss this but without
anger.

Paul