Re: collecting wild plants

From: Robert Ziemer (rrz7001@axe.humboldt.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 09:18:58 PDT

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 09:18:58 -0700
From: Robert Ziemer <rrz7001@axe.humboldt.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: collecting wild plants

I don't see a serious problem with an authorized rescue of plants about
to be destroyed by a bulldozer or some other planned habitat
destruction. However, I do question the wisdom of 'saving' plants from
drought, floods, fire, etc. I suspect that CP grow where they do and
have evolved the way that they have because they are periodically
subjected to unusual conditions. Our efforts to save them from these
conditions may be misguided. For example, we are recognizing that
preventing wildfire leads to ecologic succession that reduces good CP
habitat in favor of more fire intolerant species. Rare extended flooding
favors those plants that are more tolerant to wet conditions, killing
those that are less tolerant. Similarly, unusual extended drought may be
exactly what some plants need to gain an advantage over competitors. I
think we should be cautious about rescuing plants and animals from
natural environmental variations that may appear very unusual or extreme
to the short-term casual observer.
---Bob Ziemer---