To Michael, chamb@u.arizona.edu RE: People causing global warming

From: Strata, Inc. (strata@flash.net)
Date: Sat Apr 15 2000 - 09:23:45 PDT

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 11:23:45 -0500
From: "Strata, Inc." <strata@flash.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: To Michael, chamb@u.arizona.edu RE: People causing global warming

You wrote:
"...Global warming/climate change may prove to be a problem but that'll have
to be addressed at the source (namely, us; vehicle emissions, etc.)".

This is simply wrong. I know because I wrote my thesis on global warming
and the "greenhouse effect" and got a PhD for it from the University of
Texas. I will share some generalities with you in order to put your mind at
ease, as well as to dispel erroneous beliefs regarding the subject.

In a nutshell, the observed warning of the earth's surface temperature since
the late 19th century is about 1.5 degrees. A bunch of scientists (IPCC),
eager to be published, tenured, and receive mucho dollars in grants, created
computer models to show how we evil humans were destroying the earth with
out cars. Both IPCC assessments (in 1990 and 1995) regarding the raise of
tremperature on earth were a flop, proven wrong with satellite data.

Vehicle emissions are the 4th largest contributing factor to greenhouse
gasses. They are bested by the natural evaporation of water, the natural
decomposition of plant material, and cow flatulation (yes, cow farts!). In
fact, the population of China just by breathing, produces more carbon oxides
daily than all the vehicles in the USA running!

In a few words, it has NEVER been proven that human actions are the primary
contributor to
"global warming" or the "greenhouse effect". Think about who benefits from
creating such a hysteria: A bunch of professors (do you have any idea what
being published and being tenured means to a college professor?), a bunch of
people-hating, extremist, militant conservation groups (and their milder
cousins like Sierra club) who make a bunch of money from members'
contributions and government grants, and who would otherwise have to get a
real job, and Al Gore who has staked part of his Presidential election
reputation on an unprovable theory (he also invented the Internet - not!)!

The links below offer some relief for the layman. If you are interested in
hard-core scientific research data (temperature-change tables, precise
component measurements of greenhouse gasses, and such) I will be glad to
provide you with some.

Sleep easy! The earth's temperature IS changing, but it has been changing
for millions of years naturally, and although there ARE "greenhouse gasses",
people are a minor contributor to their creation. Animals and plants become
extinct naturally (remember the dinosaurs?). We the People should
definately take steps to safeguard our environment, but lets not get
hysterical about it, especially without a scientific and factual basis.

Take care,
Michael Pagoulatos

http://www.globalwarming.org/index.htm
http://www.cato.org/dailys/6-30-97.html