Re: Help!! - - - butterworts are turning white!

From: Robert Ziemer (rrz7001@axe.humboldt.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 09:34:09 PDT

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 09:34:09 -0700
From: Robert Ziemer <rrz7001@axe.humboldt.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Help!! - - - butterworts are turning white!

> From: Amy Ritchie <carnivorous_plant@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Help!! - - - butterworts are turning white!
>
> Just the other day I moved all my pings from inside
> outside to the greenhouse. Today I notice that they
> are turning white! It's as if all the green is just
> draining out of them! What could this mean? Too much
> heat? humidity? water?

Amy,
My guess is that your butterworts got sunburned. If they were growing in
your greenhouse, they were probably getting less of the sun's rays than
they did when you put them outside. The greenhouse roof and walls block
out some of the sunlight. Glass blocks out some of the spectrum, plastic
blocks other wavelengths. Further, your greenhouse covering is probably
a bit dirty -- and that blocks out more sun. If this is the case, it is
possible that the plants were not killed, just the leaves. I suggest
putting them in the shade for a while and see if they recover.
---Bob Ziemer---