Re: Global Warming

From: Biodan@aol.com
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 08:26:19 PDT

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 11:26:19 EDT
From: Biodan@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Global Warming

Guys, guys!...
 "None of the people who responded to my post really disagree with what
 I wrote. I didn't say that car emissions do not contribute to the
 creation of "greenhouse gasses", only that they are a minor
 contributor. We all agree that there is no conclusive evidence
 regarding the human role in global warming. All there is is
 projections based on computer models. Debating this further is a
 debate of THEORIES. So we can all draw what conclusions we may from
 the available data.

 My position is that I am not willing to give up ANY of my legal rights
 or to change my lifestyle, based on someone's unproved theories,
 whether anyone likes it or not. To those who have a problem with my
 delivery or style, I yam how I yam, and I don't stay up nights because
 someone may be offended or not like me."

Michael, Michael, Michael!!!!
    It sounds as if you've sunk to the quasiscientific level of laymen!
    To the layperson, a theory is only a guess based upon some
    observations or perceptions gleaned from limited, and often
    anecdotal information. To a scientist, a theory is the best answer
    to a problem given the information known from testable data. It
    takes years for a true theory to be formed. It is then tested,
    retested, modified and maybe, just maybe, it will become a
    scientific law. To say that global warming or humanity's effects on
    the atmosphere are overstated or wrong is like those creationists
    who are also evidently ignorant of true scientific date and
    theories. Scientific theories ARE proven - but are subject to
    change as new discoveries are made.
     Our planet's biosphere exists mainly from the greenhouse effect.
     This is effected by water vapor, carbon dioxide, particulate, and
     yes, even methane from the south end of a north bound cow (although
     you had this wrong - termites actually produce more than all other
     animals combined). However, with the advent of the industrial age
     in the 19th century, the natural greenhouse effect began to be
     'enhanced' to the point that in the 70s we noticed a greater
     increase than predicted. This we call global warming. The only
     difference between this past century and Earth's past is the
     inordinate and unnatural combustion of fossil fuels. So,
     researchers checked their data, did boucoup experiments,
     double-checked their data, argued and discussed with peers and
     colleagues, and ultimately figured out that: YES!!! global warming
     is caused by humanity's activities - primarily deforestation and
     fossil fuel combustion!!! No, we're not offended by your stance,
     just by the apparent lack of actual scientific
     understanding/background for some of your statements. Like I tell
     my students - you can have an opinion and share it with those who
     want to listen, but if you can't logically back it up, it ain't
     worth nothin'!

Dan