Re: conservation of pitchers

From: PHILIP SHERIDAN (psher001@odu.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 05:48:36 PDT

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 08:48:36 -0400
From: "PHILIP SHERIDAN" <psher001@odu.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: conservation of pitchers

Hi Folks:

I have been delighted to read the lively discussion of CP conservation.
I can tell you this. If it wasn't for Bill Scholl and I starting out as
CP'ers and taking an active interest in pitcher plants we would already
have lost several of our native pitcher plant populations in Virginia.
In fact, two of the native S. flava sites have been destroyed but we
have maintained labelled material in beds. Due to the small size of the
populations we were able to capture the entire genome for these sites
(divisions were obtained with landowner permission). These and extant
site material are being returned to the wild under our non-profit
organization (www.pitcherplant.org) in a very organized and planned
manner. The job of conservation is so overwhelming that organizations
such as TNC simply can't do it all. Get involved!!!! There are many
plants at the S1-S3 levels which need action now but due to priority
rankings they have to wait. There is room for additional effort on your
part. I read between the lines in all th e list serve correspondence a
sincere desire to preserve these plants and ecosystems. This is good
news. I hope you continue to lobby and act for preservation. I can
tell you that even if you are just growing the plants for fun you can
make a difference for conservation. The best thing you can do is
educate people about the plants, show them their interesting features,
and ask people to vote and take an interest in preservation. This can
have great effect in the long term and it is something you can do!

Best,

Phil