Re: Plant conservation and collection from habitats

From: Michael Hunt (MPHCJ5@email.msn.com)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 23:53:19 PDT

Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 02:53:19 -0400
From: "Michael Hunt" <MPHCJ5@email.msn.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Plant conservation and collection from habitats

You may recall that my original post was prompted by the appearance of large
> apparently field-grown plants at a mass retailer. I believe we all have
the
> same questions when we see plants that may have come from native
habitats --
> Are these legitimate plants that I can buy without contributing to
> habitat/population destruction?

Hello David,

Were you the Gentleman who was making the inquiry about large Sarracenia
being sold for $2.50 ? I can't find the post, but it dealt with some nursery
located in North Carolina.
If I remember there were several replies stating that these plants most
likely came from tissue culture, and that the nursery was well known. I
have serious doubts that tissue cultured Sarracenia of a mature (large) size
would be sold for only $2.50 retail. I would bet against that. It was
suggested that they plants were coming from Agri-starts in Fl. This is not
the case. None of the species mentioned are even in TC currently at
Agri-Starts. So while maybe they are from TC it's not from this lab.
Further, it is just hard to believe that anyone could or would sell nursery
propagated perennial plants, such as Sarracenia retail for such a low price.
First there is no profit for the amount of time and labor. These plants in
good condition always demand more money than this.
While talking to Mike Rinck of Agri-starts he told me that he often gets
calls from inspectors. While investigating for illegal plants some nursery
owners state that they obtain their material from his outfit and that it is
tissue cultured. They want to confirm this. But it does show how people are
always trying to beat the system, and hide behind operations that are
legitimate with their stock. This problem isn't just with plants. Smuggling
is worse with animals. Again we are talking about large mature plants. I
certainly have seen the small miss-labeled Sarracenia and Darlingtonia
offered at low prices at retailer's and they look like TC plants. Not sure
about all of the cheap Darlingrtonia though.

Here's what I find interesting however. If a nursery owns a natural wetland
area with species of cp occurring and the owner regularly works with seeding
and propagation then in fact
the plants are field grown and field collected, yet legally. This is as long
as the plants are not endangered. In this case it makes perfect sense IMO to
use nature to raise the commercial crop. Cost are kept down under normal
circumstances. No greenhouse's, watering, venting, chemicals (hopefully),or
potting until the plants are ready for market. I think that is a fine idea.
( I realize I may get shot down in flames, but oh well) it is something I
would look at myself for a native cp nursery operation. Where the problem
will arise is when new species are added to the CITES list, and they will
be. What then?
Take care all,
~Mike
  St. Petersburg Fl