RE: Intro, stop me before I kill again

From: A Arnold (arnold@acis.co.uk)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 02:13:25 PDT

Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 10:13:25 +0100
From: "A Arnold" <arnold@acis.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Intro, stop me before I kill again

Kit,

What seems to make this problem worse is that once the trap has caught one
bug, the pitcher immediately becomes much more attractive to others -
presumably because of the 'smell'? In the case of S. flava, the traps seem
to rapidly fill to a level where any other would-be victims can actually fly
or climb out. Empty traps can remain empty for quite a while until they have
made their first kill!

Regards,

Adrian

<SNIP>>
> > 3) Don't overfeed. As you are noticing, there is a downside to
> >catching bugs. Sometimes it results in the leaf or pitcher getting too
> >much and turning brown at the site of indigestion. In extreme cases, the
> >leaf dies.
>
> I guess there's just nothing I can do about this. I'm not feeding the
> flava, it's just a glutton. It's eaten 2 more flies since I wrote the
> original letter. At this rate, it won't have any room in its pitcher
> in a week or so.

<SNIP>