Oldest CP?

From: Jason Ashley (jasona@warwick.net)
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 16:35:21 PDT

Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 19:35:21 -0400
From: "Jason Ashley" <jasona@warwick.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Oldest CP?

All this talk of earth ages has me wondering, does anyone have a plausible
idea of what would be the "oldest" CP in the world? Somewhere I seem to
recall that some form of Aldrovanda might be the progenitor of the CPs we
have today but I'd really like to know. Is there some place scientists can
identify as the fountainhead of CPs? Is there any particular single species
that gave rise to all others? What is the "Lucy" of CPs? How old are they?
What period did they come from? Are there any back issues of the newsletter
that mention this?

When I was a kid I asked for trees for my birthday (I know, I was a WEIRD
kid) and I always asked for the really old trees like Gingko biloba,
Metaseqouia glyptostorbides, and Sciadopitys verticillata because I liked
the idea I'd be growing trees the dinosaurs might have seen/eaten/trampled.
My mom has 32 acres at her house so they are all still there and growing
happily (the dawn redwood has GROWN!!! what an awesome tree this is!
beautiful thready red bark against light-green fronds of foliage and the
perfectly conical shape is balance by the delicacy of the foliage. turns
bronze in autumn! and the really cool part is nobody knows just how big it
gets in ideal conditions!).

Many thanks

Jason Ashley
Warwick, NY