Re: Florida Drought

From: John Green (HPJGREEN@ihc.com)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 08:26:09 PDT

Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 09:26:09 -0600
From: "John Green" <HPJGREEN@ihc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Florida Drought

>>> <cp@opus.labs.agilent.com> 05/06 2:26 AM >>>
>... Anyway, this diatribe comes from Randy's posting
>about the Florida bogs - drought stress plus human stress.
>The drought-stressed bogs should recover as soon as La
>Nina lets go. However, the ones under the 'gun' of the
>ubiquitous bulldozers won't. Sooooo ... here's a 'real life'
>application of the recent debate on plant rescue. Randy
>affirms that this problem is an all too often played out
>scenario. So, who 'rescues' them? Where do they go?
>Is it a 'local' problem? Who will/can 'take the bull by the
>horns'?
>Dan

Here in Salt Lake City, far from the Sarracenia fields, we had a small
wetland pond that had formed right in the middle of the interchange
where I-15 southbound turns to I-80 eastbound, right in the middle of
the city. I used to drive past it on my way to school and it was always
fun to look down among the cattails and reeds (one eye on the road and
one on the water) and look for Canada geese, Pintails and other ducks
nesting around the edges. When they tore up I-15 for reconstruction
(we've got the Olympics coming in a couple of years so it was a good
excuse) the whole thing was destroyed. I contacted the DOT and they
said they were required by law to create another wetland in place of the
one they tore up in another location, but they expected this one to
return, because the first one happened after the intial construction of
I-15. I realize that governments are often bound by stricter
regulations than private developers, but it would be nice if we could
push for laws that would require similar relocation efforts when CP
habitats are being destroyed for strip malls and golf courses. Heck,
I'll even write my senators (Orrin Hatch and Jim Hansen). I'm sure
they'd love something like that, especially since so many in congress
from the East are trying to declare nearly all of Utah as wilderness and
prohibit any development. Any suggestions on what specifically I should
tell them?

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah