Re: Oldest CP?

From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 13:15:02 PDT

Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 20:15:02 +0000
From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Oldest CP?

Dear Michael,

> Drosophyllaceae - a new CP family! Has this family been proposed on the
> basis of recent phytochemical and DNA research,

No, it was proposed some years ago on the basis of petal venation.
But the more convincing evidence comes from pollen morphology, leaf
anatomy, and geography.

> or was it proposed long ago and only now supported by the new data?

Yes. I have accepted it since 1995, when Cameron & al. showed (by
genetic comparison) it to be closer to the pair Ancistrocladaceae/
Dioncophyllaceae than to Droseraceae. There is not even morphological
support for its inclusion in Droseraceae (v.s.).

> >_Byblis_ is apparently the most primitive Scrophularialean cp. It is
> >restricted to Australia and New Guinea, and its closest relatives are
> >unknown
>
> Which species are in New Guinea?

_Byblis liniflora_ s.lat.

Kind regards